- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
World Briefs: 113 arrested in Irish raids focused on triad gangs
Question of the Day
Egyptian security officials said that one person was killed and another injured.
The 12-nation observer force is part of the peace treaty signed by Egypt and Israel in 1979. U.S. troops make up the largest contingent of the 1,650-strong force.
FARC raises concerns, but peace talks continue
HAVANA — FARC rebels accused the Colombian government Wednesday of harassing relatives of a senior rebel, highlighting lingering tensions but not disrupting a third day of peace talks in Havana.
FARC spokeswoman Viviana Hernandez read aloud a statement alleging that Colombian police had threatened the relatives of western bloc unit commander Francisco Gonzalez as they sought information about his whereabouts.
“Members of the police, disguised as civilians, are pressuring the family to prosecute and take custody of their young children unless they reveal information” about his location, the spokeswoman said.
Ms. Hernandez read her remarks as the Colombian government delegation, led by former Vice President Humberto de la Calle, arrived for the third day of high-stakes talks at a Havana convention center.
Despite the unexpected development, leading FARC delegate Ivan Marquez expressed optimism about the outcome of the dialogue, which is expected to run into next week, before entering the closed-door talks.
Negotiations aimed at ending Latin America’s longest-running insurgency began Monday with the FARC declaring a unilateral two-month cease-fire, after a preliminary round of talks last month in Norway.
President Juan Manuel Santos has stressed that his government is not yet bound by the cease-fire and that military operations against the FARC will continue until a deal is brokered.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world