- Associated Press - Thursday, November 22, 2012

BERKELEY, CALIF. (AP) - For two years, Tierra Rogers cried herself to sleep each night as California’s basketball team moved forward without her.

Still grieving 20 months after her father was murdered during one of her high school games, Rogers‘ career got cut short before it began. A top recruit, the highly touted freshman guard collapsed and stopped breathing in a seriously close call outside the Cal training room.

It’s been three years since that frightening day. Most with her rare heart condition never know, until it’s too late, because it is often fatal.

Rogers rarely misses practice these days, even though she has never played a minute for the Golden Bears, who jumped to No. 11 in this week’s AP Top 25 poll. Rogers steps in to help during drills as a passer, or stays busy under the basket to rebound balls and keep things moving. On game day, she is the last player the Cal starters greet for a handshake or choreographed dance move during introductions.

“A lot of tears were shed. I think of my dad a lot,” Rogers said during a recent practice. “I felt alone. I felt lost. I felt I had no control over anything in my life. I felt defeated. I was just sad and distraught at everything that happened.”

To see Rogers now, smiling, still taking part on the court in a drastically different role, is to see just how far this young woman has come in a success story that reaches from Rogers to her teammates and coaches and the entire Bay Area. Rogers recently began taking part in a clinical trial at UC San Francisco, something she hopes will help others with her health situation keep playing their sport at a high level.

She is on schedule to graduate next summer _ on time, with a bachelor’s degree in African American Studies.

“She amazes me,” said Rogers‘ mother, Dalonna Ingram-Rogers. “I always tell her I get my strength from her. She says, `Well, you and dad raised me,’ and I tell her, `Give yourself some credit.’ She has been through so much at a young age. It’s so easy to quit.”

On Sept. 21, 2009, Rogers collapsed at Haas Pavilion after she had trouble breathing during a workout. She was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where she spent a week for testing and observation. Once doctors determined she had a cardiac condition, she was transferred to UC San Francisco Medical Center. There, doctors discovered her condition _ Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia _ and implanted a defibrillator.

A high school All-American at San Francisco’s Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep, her dad was shot to death at halftime of a game across the street from her home gym on Jan. 12, 2008. She considered giving up basketball after the tragedy.

Later, the decision was made for her.

Former Cal coach Joanne Boyle, now at Virginia, still keeps in touch with Rogers whenever possible. Second-year Bears coach Lindsay Gottlieb was Boyle’s top assistant during the recruiting process with Rogers, but had left to coach Santa Barbara by the time Rogers arrived.

When Gottlieb returned last season, keeping Rogers around on scholarship was never a question.

“She is 100 percent a part of the team,” Gottlieb said. “Her presence is really felt, and her presence is really important.”

Rogers often called her mother, who lives in Houston after leaving San Francisco, in the middle of the night fighting the urge to give up, to leave town and start fresh elsewhere.

Story Continues →