- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
Honda develops new lightweight and compact hybrid system
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. developed the SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive system, a lightweight and compact one-motor hybrid system optimized for small-sized vehicles. This new hybrid system will be the latest addition to the Earth Dreams Technology series of new generation powertrain technology that realizes both excellent driving performance and fuel economy at a high level.
Together with the SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Multi Mode Drive, the world’s most efficient two-motor hybrid system optimized for mid-sized vehicles, and the SPORT HYBRID SH-AWD (SPORT HYBRID Super Handling - All Wheel Drive), the three-motor hybrid system optimized for large-sized vehicles enabling independent control of torque distribution to both right and left rear wheels, the newly developed SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive will constitute the lineup of three different Honda SPORT HYBRID systems that accommodate different vehicle characteristics. Honda will continue expanding the application of these hybrid systems based on vehicle characteristics.
The lineup of SPORT HYBRID systems: One-motor SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive:
In addition to top level fuel economy in its class, the fun of driving is realized with acceleration g-force more powerful than that of existing models as well as a rhythmic and linear acceleration feeling. This drive unit combines a newly developed inline 4-cylinder 1.5L Atkinson cycle engine with a 7-speed DCT system with a built-in high-output motor and a lithium-ion battery to improve efficiency by more than 30% compared to a conventional one-motor hybrid system.
The combination of the one-motor hybrid system and the engine realizes sporty driving during acceleration and high-speed cruising by using the clutches to engage the engine.
Highly efficient electric vehicle (EV) driving is realized during startup and low- to medium-speed cruising by using the clutches to disengage the engine.
This system contributes to the improvement of fuel economy by increasing energy regeneration using the clutches to disengage the engine during deceleration.
Two-motor SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Multi Mode Drive / Plug-in:
Through the adoption of high-efficiency / high-output motors, both brisk acceleration with an EV-like driving feel and high fuel economy are realized at the same time. This hybrid system realizes the world’s highest efficiency*1 by combining a newly-developed engine dedicated for hybrid vehicles and an electric CVT coupled with two built-in motors and a lock-up clutch, along with a lithium-ion battery, and by optimally switching the driving mode among three different modes depending on the driving situation. This hybrid system, which is also suitable as a plug-in hybrid system, will be installed to the North American version of the Accord, scheduled to be introduced to the market in January 2013.
The system switches the operation among the following three driving modes depending on driving conditions and the battery charge level:
“EV Drive” for driving by the electric motor using electricity from the battery and regeneration during deceleration
“Engine Drive” for medium- to high-speed cruising with the engine and axle directly connected by a lock-up clutch and engine power is mechanically transferred to the wheels
“Hybrid Drive” for urban driving and powerful acceleration using the motor with electricity generated by the engine
Three-motor SPORT HYBRID SH-AWD (SPORT HYBRID Super Handling - All Wheel Drive):
The combination of a V6 engine and this high-output three-motor system realizes acceleration performance equivalent to that of a V8 engine with fuel economy better than that of an inline 4-cylinder engine. A new V6 3.5L direct-injection engine is installed in the front of the vehicle and combined with a newly-developed 7-speed DCT system with a built-in motor. This unique Honda technology uses two motors installed in the rear to control torque distribution to the right and left rear wheels.
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Syria mess may spawn 'Islamic emirate' world must deal with, says Iraq's top diplomat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- GORDON: Purging America's military
- Obamacare's bold vision turns murky: Health reform downsized, promises broken
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!