- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Man pleads no contest in burglary of Jobs’ home
Question of the Day
PALO ALTO, CALIF. (AP) - A California man accused of breaking into Steve Jobs‘ house and stealing computers and the Apple Inc. co-founder’s wallet has pleaded no contest to burglarizing homes across the San Francisco Bay area.
Kariem McFarlin accepted a plea deal and was convicted Wednesday in Santa Clara County Superior Court on eight felony counts of residential burglary and one felony count of selling stolen property.
McFarlin was initially charged in August with one count each of residential burglary and selling stolen property after Jobs‘ Palo Alto home was broken into in July. He apparently didn’t realize he was in Jobs‘ house until he saw a letter addressed to the Silicon Valley icon, who died in October 2011.
During the 15-hour overnight heist, McFarlin took the late Jobs‘ wallet and driver’s license as well as iPhones, iPads, iPods, Mac computers, champagne and $60,000 worth of Tiffany & Co. jewelry, police said.
A stolen iPad ended up in the hands of Kenny the Clown, a well-known street performer who used it to play music during his acts before police came for it.
Investigators from a task force eventually linked McFarlin, 35, to seven other burglaries in Alameda, Marin and San Francisco dating back to March 2011, the San Jose Mercury News reported ( http://bit.ly/TcJ30).
Prosecutors in those other counties agreed to resolve all of the burglary cases in Santa Clara County, said Deputy District Attorney Thomas Flattery, who filed an amended criminal complaint Wednesday.
“I think it’s a good outcome,” Flattery said about McFarlin’s no contest plea. “I think the case demonstrates a couple of things. Really, it’s a good example of judicial economy and cooperation between the various counties to resolve everything at once.
“And it’s also an example of the work a multi-jurisdictional task force can do to bring them all together.”
McFarlin could face up to seven years and eight months in prison when he’s scheduled for sentencing Jan. 17.
He could have received a maximum of 16 years and four months behind bars, but Judge Thang Nguyen Barrett offered to cap the sentence at seven years and eight months in exchange for McFarlin’s no contest plea, Flattery said.
Police previously said the Alameda resident confessed to breaking into Jobs‘ home.
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Latest Obama claim: I don't learn anything from the news
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq