- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Becoming ‘Democrat-light’ not a solution
Question of the Day
Al Cardenas, chairman of the American Conservative Union, wants Republicans and conservatives to emulate Democrats in the hunt for votes (“Republicans too white, male, old,” Commentary, Tuesday). Mr. Cardenas believes segregating Americans into ethnic and gender groups is what is needed to win elections. In other words, become “Democrat-light.” Find out what each group wants and pander to them by handing out goodies, regardless of what the effect of those goodies may have on the United States as a whole.
Mr. Cardenas wants Republicans to disregard American sovereignty and territorial integrity to increase the percentage of Hispanic votes for Republicans. He writes that former Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush received more than 40 percent of the Hispanic vote. What he fails to mention, however, is Reagan’s immediate successor, George H.W. Bush, received only 7 percent fewer Hispanic votes than did Reagan despite Reagan’s having signed an amnesty law.
Mr. Cardenas writes that Reagan and George W. Bush “respected our community.” Would open borders and amnesty for every illegal alien show “respect”? Should the United States become simply an economic zone rather than remain a sovereign nation with territorial integrity just so it can show respect for Mr. Cardenas‘ “community”?
Republicans lost the election because of the demonization of a truthful and decent Republican candidate by Democrats. Youthful voters went for President Obama in the same numbers they did in 2008, blissfully ignorant that a greatly diminished future is now being sealed with out-of-control debt and deficits, higher taxes, fewer job opportunities and socialized health care. They will look back years from now and wonder what they were thinking. America’s greatness will only be known from history books, unless those books are written by liberals and progressives.
JOSEPH R. FARRELL
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job