- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, non-lethal aid to counter Russians
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to President Clinton, book claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Becoming ‘Democrat-light’ not a solution
Al Cardenas, chairman of the American Conservative Union, wants Republicans and conservatives to emulate Democrats in the hunt for votes (“Republicans too white, male, old,” Commentary, Tuesday). Mr. Cardenas believes segregating Americans into ethnic and gender groups is what is needed to win elections. In other words, become “Democrat-light.” Find out what each group wants and pander to them by handing out goodies, regardless of what the effect of those goodies may have on the United States as a whole.
Mr. Cardenas wants Republicans to disregard American sovereignty and territorial integrity to increase the percentage of Hispanic votes for Republicans. He writes that former Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush received more than 40 percent of the Hispanic vote. What he fails to mention, however, is Reagan’s immediate successor, George H.W. Bush, received only 7 percent fewer Hispanic votes than did Reagan despite Reagan’s having signed an amnesty law.
Mr. Cardenas writes that Reagan and George W. Bush “respected our community.” Would open borders and amnesty for every illegal alien show “respect”? Should the United States become simply an economic zone rather than remain a sovereign nation with territorial integrity just so it can show respect for Mr. Cardenas‘ “community”?
Republicans lost the election because of the demonization of a truthful and decent Republican candidate by Democrats. Youthful voters went for President Obama in the same numbers they did in 2008, blissfully ignorant that a greatly diminished future is now being sealed with out-of-control debt and deficits, higher taxes, fewer job opportunities and socialized health care. They will look back years from now and wonder what they were thinking. America’s greatness will only be known from history books, unless those books are written by liberals and progressives.
JOSEPH R. FARRELL
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers