- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Uzbekistan’s gas shortage sparks calls for reform
Question of the Day
“We are experiencing problems with fuel throughout the whole year and especially during the cotton campaign, and after it,” said Kamol, a driver for the Samarkand tourist board, referring to the harvest season of one of Uzbekistan’s major exports. “All fuel goes to feed trucks and tractors on fields, and the gas stations are empty. We have no other way to find fuel, only to use speculators.”
Many drivers feel forced to purchase fuel on the black market, where prices typically are two-and-a-half times higher than normal market prices.
Others have begun converting their automobiles to run on liquefied gas — methane and propane. According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, 45,000 cars were converted in 2011, almost double the amount the year before.
Though much cheaper than gasoline, liquefied gas reduces a car’s power. And it doesn’t eliminate the long lines: There are far fewer liquefied gas stations than gasoline stations in Uzbekistan, and the procedure for filling liquefied gas cylinders is slow.
• The reporter has requested anonymity for fear of government reprisals.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors