- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Global warming hot air
Question of the Day
According to temperature data just released by Britain’s Met Office, the world’s climate cooled during 2011 and has continued the trend in 2012. This news has come just as the United Nations climate summit commenced in Doha, Qatar, with the goal of finding ways to cut global “greenhouse” gas emissions.
The latest data have cast doubt on climate scientists’ predictions of runaway warming. The longer-term record shows global temperatures have gone sideways during the past 15 years. Professor Tim Flannery has stated that if humanity stopped using carbon dioxide tomorrow it would take up to 10,000 years for this to have an impact on the climate in any measurable way. Think about that — 10,000 years. This is from a leading climate scientist.
Why the panic over reducing carbon emissions? It is hard to understand given that the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere varies by 5 percent annually. The human contribution to the total amount of carbon dioxide is just 1.7 percent — well within the natural variation. Therefore, it is not possible for carbon dioxide to be the major cause of climate change. This being so, one must ask, is it really necessary for urgent action to be taken on reducing our “greenhouse” gas emissions?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border