- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Global warming hot air
According to temperature data just released by Britain's Met Office, the world’s climate cooled during 2011 and has continued the trend in 2012. This news has come just as the United Nations climate summit commenced in Doha, Qatar, with the goal of finding ways to cut global “greenhouse” gas emissions.
The latest data have cast doubt on climate scientists’ predictions of runaway warming. The longer-term record shows global temperatures have gone sideways during the past 15 years. Professor Tim Flannery has stated that if humanity stopped using carbon dioxide tomorrow it would take up to 10,000 years for this to have an impact on the climate in any measurable way. Think about that — 10,000 years. This is from a leading climate scientist.
Why the panic over reducing carbon emissions? It is hard to understand given that the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere varies by 5 percent annually. The human contribution to the total amount of carbon dioxide is just 1.7 percent — well within the natural variation. Therefore, it is not possible for carbon dioxide to be the major cause of climate change. This being so, one must ask, is it really necessary for urgent action to be taken on reducing our “greenhouse” gas emissions?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- FEULNER: Civic involvement, not big government, empowers Americans
- BLACKWELL: Obama fumbles key to saving minority youth
- RAHN: The responsibility to resist fiscally irresponsible politicians
- GANS: Obamacare's latest casualty: rehabilitative hospitals
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama delivering on 'flexibility' vow to Moscow
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama should've seen Ukraine coming
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Political correctness is enemy of free speech
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop wasting money on United Nations
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Certain issues belong to voters