- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Global warming hot air
Question of the Day
According to temperature data just released by Britain’s Met Office, the world’s climate cooled during 2011 and has continued the trend in 2012. This news has come just as the United Nations climate summit commenced in Doha, Qatar, with the goal of finding ways to cut global “greenhouse” gas emissions.
The latest data have cast doubt on climate scientists’ predictions of runaway warming. The longer-term record shows global temperatures have gone sideways during the past 15 years. Professor Tim Flannery has stated that if humanity stopped using carbon dioxide tomorrow it would take up to 10,000 years for this to have an impact on the climate in any measurable way. Think about that — 10,000 years. This is from a leading climate scientist.
Why the panic over reducing carbon emissions? It is hard to understand given that the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere varies by 5 percent annually. The human contribution to the total amount of carbon dioxide is just 1.7 percent — well within the natural variation. Therefore, it is not possible for carbon dioxide to be the major cause of climate change. This being so, one must ask, is it really necessary for urgent action to be taken on reducing our “greenhouse” gas emissions?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job