- Dancing Kim Jong-un video sparks North Korea fury
- Delta cancels all Israel flights over missile fear; US Airways also stops flight to Tel Aviv
- Philadelphia mosque leaders try to sever hand of accused thief
- NAACP: Detroit water shutoffs are racially motivated
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Big milestone for Britain’s little Prince George who turns 1
- Murphy: Israel must be wary of Hamas using civilian deaths for recruitment
- Royce: Putin recruiting ‘every skinhead and malcontent around Russia’
- Nancy Pelosi is adamant: Congress worked together when Bush was president
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous veteran
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Get Russia to clean up old reactors
Question of the Day
As the great-grandson of Lithuanian immigrants (and having visited Lithuania several times to see friends and cousins), I am quite concerned about the cost overruns, stringent European Union regulations and tactical inexperience that are hindering efforts to dismantle the Soviet-era nuclear power plant in Visaginas (“Lithuanians near old nuclear plant fear for their lives,” Web, Sunday).
Of course, the European Union isn’t helping itself or Lithuania with all the red tape, but after Chernobyl and Fukushima, it’s hard to blame them. To that end, one source of funding Brussels could consider is Russia, which built reactors all across Eastern Europe during the Cold War.
Unfortunately, some bargaining chips were lost when Russia entered the World Trade Organization, but if a European Union-Russia free trade agreement were ever on the table, Eurocrats should demand the Kremlin contribute to a cleanup fund that would help finance the decommissioning of Soviet-era power plants. Although Russian President Vladimir Putin might decide later to turn off the gas to Europe, maybe member states will have met EU renewable energy goals by then.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Obamacare dealt massive setback by federal appeals court
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters' questions on book tour