- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
Nation Briefs: California addiction counselor charged with murder in DUI
Question of the Day
The lawsuit was filed in federal court in San Francisco on Tuesday and is the second such federal challenge filed by female service members this year.
The latest demands the lifting of the military’s so-called combat-exclusionary policy that applies to all women.
The lawsuit alleges the ban on a single gender violates constitutional equal-protection rights and unfairly blocks women from promotions and other advancements open to men in combat.
Further, the lawsuit alleges that women are already serving unofficially in combat units.
Two of the four women who filed the lawsuit have received Purple Heart medals for injuries sustained in Afghanistan. The women are represented by the American Civil Liberties Union.
Man gets life term for killing wife, children
JOLIET — A suburban Chicago man was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday for killing his wife and three school-age children as they sat buckled into the family’s SUV — allegedly so he could start a new life subsisting in the Canadian wilderness.
The sentencing of Christopher Vaughn, 37, came two months after jurors found him guilty of killing his wife, Kimberly, 34, and their children on June 14, 2007. Each child was shot once in the chest and head.
The judge sentenced Vaughn to four consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world