- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Encourage moderates to combat hatred
Osama bin Laden was taught and accepted the extreme radical interpretation of the Koran that calls for us infidels to submit, convert to Islam or be killed. He believed that Allah had called him to lead and rid the earth of nonbelieving infidels — starting with the United States, which he believed ought to be ruled by Shariah law under a caliph.
Bin Laden began his crusade by telling us he had found our Achilles heel: fear. With little investment in four hijacked airliners and 20 suicidal followers on Sept. 11, 2001, he sucked us into two costly and debilitating wars in Afghanistan and Iraq that have resulted in our economy teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and the change of our government from one supportive of wealth-creating capitalism to one that advocates wealth-redistributing socialism.
Alexander Tytler, a Scottish historian, predicted in 1810 that the ongoing progression toward socialism could result in loose fiscal policy, out-of-control spending, hyperinflation, class warfare, panic, rule by decree, martial law, disillusion with Congress and dictatorship.
Fear turns to anger every time I have to take off my shoes going through security because of the would-be “shoe bomber.” Anger can destroy as effectively as bin Laden’s suicide bombers. We must all guard against falling into bin Laden’s fatal trap of fear-to-anger-to-hate.
We need to help. We should encourage the moderate Muslims in our midst as well as the other 85 percent of moderate Muslims in the world to become Koran “reformers,” revising and promoting a new version of Islam that rejects jihad, terrorism and hatred. Otherwise, the world could degenerate into a clash of cultures, an Armageddon that will destroy millions of Muslims and Westerners alike.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Activists encourage Obama to circumvent Congress, use more executive authority
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school