- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
Calif. crash charges filed against Lindsay Lohan
Question of the Day
SANTA MONICA, CALIF. (AP) - California prosecutors have filed charges against Lindsay Lohan over a car crash on a coastal highway earlier this year.
Santa Monica Sgt. Richard Lewis says the charges were filed Thursday morning, but he declined to release more details until a formal press release could be issued. Court officials could not immediately confirm the charges.
The filing comes nearly six months after the actress crashed her Porsche into the back of a dump truck while on her way to a movie set.
Lohan’s attorney did not return messages seeking comment.
The case could trigger a probation violation for Lohan, who remains on informal probation in California for a necklace theft.
Lohan was arrested Thursday in New York City after police say she hit a woman during an argument at a nightclub.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
Actress Lindsay Lohan was arrested Thursday after police said she hit a woman during an argument at a New York City nightclub.
The “Mean Girls” and “Freaky Friday” star was arrested at 4 a.m. and charged with third-degree assault.
She left a police precinct nearly four hours later with a black jacket pulled over her head. She was wearing leggings, a green mini dress and high-heels, and drove off in a black SUV with a driver, a woman and another man who was seen going in and out of the precinct.
She allegedly got into the spat with another woman at Club Avenue, in Manhattan’s Chelsea section. She struck the woman in the face with her hand, police said. The woman did not require medical attention.
Lohan’s publicist did not immediately return a call for comment.
The arrest is Lohan’s latest brush with law enforcement in New York City.
She was involved in a NYPD investigation in September after alleging a man had assaulted her in a New York hotel, but charges against the man were later dropped.
Also in September, the actress was accused of clipping a man with her car outside another Manhattan nightclub, but prosecutors chose not to move ahead with charges.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq