- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Inside Politics: Former president in hospital for bronchitis
HOUSTON — Former President George H.W. Bush has been hospitalized in Houston for treatment of a lingering cough.
Mr. Bush’s chief of staff, Jean Becker, said the 88-year-old former president is being treated for bronchitis at Houston’s Methodist Hospital. He was admitted last Friday and is expected to be released by the weekend.
Hawaii’s Akaka emotional at last committee hearing
Fellow senators on Thursday lauded the Hawaii Democrat for his work for American Indians. The hearing focused on preserving native cultures and identities.
Mr. Akaka became emotional before dropping the gavel for the last time. Rather than goodbye, he said: “It is with much aloha that I say to you now, ‘a hui hou,’ see you again.” Aloha is a Hawaiian greeting that also means love and care.
Lawmakers consider aid requests in Sandy’s wake
Congress on Thursday took its first hard look at the damage from Superstorm Sandy amid appeals for tens of billions of dollars in additional disaster assistance to rebuild from one of the most destructive storms ever to hit the Northeast.
Testifying before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, lawmakers from states incurring the most damages painted a grim picture of destruction from the late-October storm that left 131 people dead.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again