- Britain’s Labour Party hires David Axelrod — but can’t spell his name
- Washington and Lee law students demand ban on Confederate flag, say Gen. Lee was racist
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- Ann Coulter takes up ‘Mitt Romney for President’ chant again
- Mount Everest avalanche kills a dozen Sherpa guides
- Vice principal saved from South Korean sinking ferry found hanged
- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
Lohan charged with lying, reckless drive in Calif.
SANTA MONICA, CALIF. (AP) - Prosecutors in California have charged Lindsay Lohan with lying to police and reckless driving stemming from a car crash on a coastal highway earlier this year.
It comes the same day the actress was arrested in New York City after police say she hit a woman during an argument.
The Santa Monica City Attorney’s office filed the charges Thursday, nearly six months after the actress crashed her Porsche into the back of a dump truck while on her way to a movie set.
Lohan’s attorney Shawn Holley did not return messages seeking comment.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
Actress Lindsay Lohan was arrested Thursday in New York City after police said she hit a woman during an argument, then hours later was charged in California for a June crash in which her Porsche slammed into a dump truck.
The “Mean Girls” and “Freaky Friday” star was arrested at 4 a.m. and charged with third-degree assault.
She left a police precinct nearly four hours later with a black jacket pulled over her head. Lohan was wearing leggings, a green mini dress and high-heels. She drove off in a black SUV with a driver, a woman and another man who was seen going in and out of the precinct.
Lohan, 26, allegedly got into the spat with another woman at Club Avenue, in Manhattan’s Chelsea section. She struck the woman in the face with her hand, police said. The woman did not require medical attention.
Lohan’s attorney, Shawn Holley, did not immediately return messages seeking comment.
The charges come just after Lohan’s portrayal of Elizabeth Taylor in the Lifetime movie “Liz & Dick” premiered to harsh reviews from critics and the public.
The arrest is Lohan’s latest brush with law enforcement in New York City.
She was involved in a New York Police Department investigation in September after alleging a man had assaulted her in a New York hotel, but charges against the man were later dropped.
Also in September, the actress was accused of clipping a man with her car outside another Manhattan nightclub, but prosecutors chose not to move ahead with charges.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Golden Hammer: Easter candy bitter taste for taxpayers?
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.