- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
- 68,000 more file for unemployment — in one week
- Michigan bans in-state insurers from covering abortion
Swizz Beatz: I’m releasing singles, not albums
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON (AP) - Producer-rapper Swizz Beatz says he wants to release a series of singles _ or “memorable moments” _ instead of a follow-up album to 2007’s “One Man Band Man.” With the growing trend of top pop acts selling millions of singles, but falling flat in album sales, Beatz said releasing songs is the best route for him as a known artist.
“I think that it’s a better lane for me,” said Beatz, who has produced hits for Jay-Z, T.I., Beyonce and Drake. “I’m able to give the fans something to focus on that’s consistent instead of promoting this, promoting that.”
His current single, the high-energy party anthem “Everyday Birthday,” features Chris Brown and Ludacris. They performed it at the American Music Awards earlier this month and so far the song has peaked at No. 44 on Billboard’s R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart.
Though Beatz is focusing on singles, fans shouldn’t worry; he says he already has an entire album finished.
“I just don’t feel that the people want an album from me that bad, yet. But when they do, I can definitely put something together,” he said.
Beatz is still in the studio creating music for others. He said he’s working with Beyonce, Drake and Rick Ross, and will soon reunite with Nas and Jay-Z. He’s also a producer on wife Alicia Keys‘ new album, “Girl on Fire,” out this week.
Keys, who has been mostly mum about their marriage, recently gushed to the press that Beatz and their 2-year-old son, Egypt, bring balance to her life.
“It’s a surprise because she’s so private about everything,” he said. “It’s great to see her open up a little bit and share some of that.”
Beatz, who has partnered with Reebok, Lotus Cars, Christian Louboutin and the New York Knicks, made headlines recently for alleged tax debt problems. While he brushed off commenting on reports in 2010, the entrepreneur acknowledges past problems, but denies reports of recent troubles.
“I work superhard for that not to be an issue,” he said. “When people look at me as a businessman, I’m involved with serious companies doing great things and you know, it’s just something that, you know, I can’t have going across these corporate desks.”
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Selfie at heart of Obama fiasco to stay secret
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
An objective, analysis-based perspective of D.C. sports as seen through the eyes of lifelong D.C. sports enthusiast, John Heibel.
The Career Doctor Cassi Fields prescribes valuable advice for anyone looking to find a career, nail an interview or earn a promotion.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow