‘Not awkward’: Vilma, Smith, Williams face-to-face

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

WASHINGTON (AP) - It had been 10 months since New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma and defensive end Will Smith were face to face with their former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams _ a span that included NFL suspensions for all three in connection with what a league investigation determined was a cash-for-hits bounty program.

For about four hours on Friday, Vilma and Smith sat and watched while their lawyers cross-examine Williams during a hearing that is part of the players’ latest appeals of their punishments.

“We got to hear what Gregg had to say,” Smith said afterward. “We wanted to make sure we were there just to hear him out.”

Smith described the hearing, the third this week in Washington overseen by former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, as “peaceful” and “not awkward.”

Smith, suspended four games, and Vilma, suspended for the entire current season, have been allowed back on the field while their appeals are pending, and both flew into town after playing in the Saints‘ 23-13 loss at the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday night. Two former New Orleans players also were banned: Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita had his suspension reduced to one game, while free-agent defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove has not played in the NFL this season but faces a two-game suspension if he signs with a team.

Smith and Vilma were not required to attend Friday, but wanted to be in the room when their former coach was questioned.

“We know what we did and know what we didn’t do,” Smith said. “I mean, we just wanted to be there because it was our right to be there.”

The NFL has described Vilma and Smith as ringleaders _ and Williams as being in charge _ of a performance pool designed to knock targeted opponents out of games from 2009 to 2011. The league has sworn statements from Williams and former Saints assistant coach Mike Cerullo _ who testified Thursday _ saying Vilma offered $10,000 to anyone who knocked quarterback Brett Favre out of the NFC championship game at the end of the 2009 season.

They declined to discuss any details of Friday’s hearing, citing Tagliabue’s insistence that the contents of the appeals process remain private. The hearings _ scheduled to resume Monday in New Orleans _ have been behind closed doors. Vilma is supposed to be questioned next week.

Tagliabue and various lawyers declined to comment Thursday or Friday.

Paul wants to keep it under wraps, keep everything low-key … so not really much I can say right now,” Vilma said.

“Of course,” he added, “it felt good being able to go in there.”

Vilma said it was the first time he had seen Williams since January, when the Saints‘ season ended with a playoff loss against San Francisco.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell issued the initial suspensions, which also included a full-season ban for Saints head coach Sean Payton.

Lawsuits brought by Vilma and the NFL Players Association to challenge Goodell’s handling of the case, including his decision in October to appoint Tagliabue as the arbitrator for the appeals, are pending in federal court in New Orleans.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player