You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Accused murderer who fled, jumped from hotel roof, back in Md. court

- The Washington Times - Monday, November 5, 2012

A man accused of fatally stabbing his girlfriend at their Wheaton apartment, going on the run and attempting to jump to his death from the top of a Miami hotel, was back in Maryland to face murder charges.

Martire Puente-Fulcar, 31, was ordered held without bond Monday on first-degree murder charges in the death of his 37-year-old girlfriend. Rocio Nikaury Morcelo was found fatally stabbed in the stairwell of her apartment on Sept. 22.

Mr. Puente-Fulcar disappeared for three days after the slaying until he was found critically injured after apparently trying to commit suicide by jumping from the roof of a nine-story Miami hotel.

According to charging documents filed in the case, police think the couple got into an argument the day before. Mr. Puente-Fulcar left the apartment, returning in the overnight hours of Sept. 22 and getting into a fight with Morcelo. He stabbed her multiple times and then fled.

A neighbor described seeing a person who fit Mr. Puente-Fulcar’s description leaving the area. Less than four hours after the slaying, Mr. Puente-Fulcar made a phone call to his brother and admitted to stabbing Morcelo after an argument, according to charging documents filed in Montgomery County District Court.

Court records show Morcelo had previously sought protective orders against Mr. Puente-Fulcar.

A warrant was issued for Mr. Puente-Fulcar’s arrest, but he was not located until Sept. 25, after he leapt from the roof of the Versailles Hotel in Miami Beach in an apparent suicide attempt. He was hospitalized in critical condition.

Last week he had recovered enough to be extradited to Montgomery County to face the murder charge, said Ramon Korionoff, spokesman for the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office. He appeared in court Monday wearing a neck brace, Mr. Korionoff said.

A preliminary hearing is now scheduled in the case for Nov. 30.

© Copyright 2015 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.