- The Washington Times - Tuesday, November 6, 2012

FRESNO | A parolee who worked at a California chicken processing plant opened fire at the business on Tuesday, killing two people and wounding two others before taking his own life, authorities said.

Police said they didn’t know what prompted the attack by Lawrence Jones, 42, midway through his shift at Apple Valley Farms, although other workers told police he did not appear to be himself when he arrived at the plant for work.

Mr. Jones had an extensive criminal history dating back into the 1990s, police said without elaborating.

Police said they had his home on lockdown and were searching to see if there were any other victims.

Mr. Jones arrived at work just before 5 a.m. About three-and-a-half hours into his shift, he pulled out a handgun and began firing, police said.


Boy returns to school after DNA flap

PALO ALTO | A Palo Alto sixth-grader has been allowed to return to school after his family convinced district officials they didn’t need to worry about his genetic mutations.

A month ago, Palo Alto district officials had told Colman Chadam, 11, he must transfer out of Jordan Middle School because they thought genetic mutations-related cystic fibrosis threatened students with the lung disease.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that district officials and Colman’s family announced Monday a settlement that revoked a forced transfer to another district school. The boy was allowed to return to school last week after missing 11 days of class.


Longtime suspect in Etan Patz case to be released

PHILADELPHIA | The man who was long the prime suspect in a landmark case of a missing New York City boy is about to be released from a Pennsylvania prison where he spent more than 20 years for molesting other children.

Six-year-old Etan Patz vanished May 25, 1979, after leaving his Lower Manhattan home to go to a bus stop two blocks away. It was the first time his parents had let him go off to school alone.

Jose Ramos, a convicted pedophile whom authorities have called the prime suspect in the case, is set to be released Wednesday from the State Correctional Institution at Dallas, in northeastern Pennsylvania, prison spokesman Michael Goyne said.

Story Continues →