- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Obama win doesn’t change Hillary Clinton’s plans to step down
Question of the Day
“He is obviously a person of great stature and respected by both parties and has established in the past a close relationship with then-Senator Obama,” Mr. Inderfurth said. “They both worked together on the so-called Nunn-Lugar cooperative threat reduction programs. They traveled together.”
While tapping Mr. Lugar would be “quite a statement,” Mr. Inderfurth said the president set such a precedent when he kept Republican-appointed former Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates at the Pentagon well into the administration’s first term.
“Lugar, if you will, is the foreign policy equivalent of the national security specialist Robert Gates,” he said.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Guy Taylor rejoined The Washington Times in 2011 as the State Department correspondent.
As a freelance journalist, Taylor’s work was supported by the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting and the Fund For Investigative Journalism, and his stories appeared in a variety publications, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch to Salon, Reason, Prospect Magazine of London, the Daily Star of Beirut, the ...
- State Department adds two to terrorist list, notes al Qaeda splits
- U.S. adds al Qaeda-linked Lebanon militant leader to global terrorist list
- Number of journalists kidnapped more than doubled in 2013: report
- China growing 'more concerned' about North Korea, former top U.S. diplomat says
- U.S. downplays Saudi prince's criticism of Obama's Middle East policies
Latest Blog Entries
By Michael P. Orsi
- Calling prison term disparities unfair, Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Outrage over Phil Robertson suspension, 'malignant' political correctness
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow