- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
Tweets mock Diane Sawyer as ‘tipsy,’ ‘hammered’
NEW YORK (AP) - Diane Sawyer’s election night performance left some viewers asking if she had begun celebrating the election a bit early.
Co-anchoring ABC News‘ coverage on Tuesday, the veteran journalist struck a different manner from her practiced, straight-news-delivering style.
Sawyer spoke more slowly than usual while seeming to prop herself on outstretched arms at the anchor desk she shared with George Stephanopoulos.
“OK, I wanna _ can we have our music, because this is another big one here? Minnesota, we’re ready to project Minnesota, rrright now. … Well, tonight we know that President Barack has won Minnesota,” she said around 10 p.m. EST, stumbling over President Barack Obama’s name.
Maybe Sawyer was just weary from the recent torrent of news.
In any case, Twitter users took quick notice and began cracking jokes.
“A bit tipsy,” “hammered” or “on pain killers, muscle relaxers, benzos or some combination” were among the jeering explanations. Another likened it to an episode of HBO’s drama “The Newsroom,” in which Will McAvoy, the fictitious anchorman, had eaten a couple of pot brownies before unexpectedly being summoned to his anchor desk to report a news story.
Some tweeters joked that a more fun-loving Sawyer was a ploy by ABC to boost viewership as Obama faced off against Mitt Romney in the election. Several Twitter followers said they were drawn to the network by word that Sawyer was behaving, by one description, “a bit wacky.”
“Bad night for Romney,” one tweeter summed up. “Worse night for Diane Sawyer?”
She did not address it on Wednesday’s “World News” broadcast.
ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.