- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Tweets mock Diane Sawyer as ‘tipsy,’ ‘hammered’
NEW YORK (AP) - Diane Sawyer’s election night performance left some viewers asking if she had begun celebrating the election a bit early.
Co-anchoring ABC News‘ coverage on Tuesday, the veteran journalist struck a different manner from her practiced, straight-news-delivering style.
“OK, I wanna _ can we have our music, because this is another big one here? Minnesota, we’re ready to project Minnesota, rrright now. … Well, tonight we know that President Barack has won Minnesota,” she said around 10 p.m. EST, stumbling over President Barack Obama’s name.
Maybe Sawyer was just weary from the recent torrent of news.
In any case, Twitter users took quick notice and began cracking jokes.
“A bit tipsy,” “hammered” or “on pain killers, muscle relaxers, benzos or some combination” were among the jeering explanations. Another likened it to an episode of HBO’s drama “The Newsroom,” in which Will McAvoy, the fictitious anchorman, had eaten a couple of pot brownies before unexpectedly being summoned to his anchor desk to report a news story.
Some tweeters joked that a more fun-loving Sawyer was a ploy by ABC to boost viewership as Obama faced off against Mitt Romney in the election. Several Twitter followers said they were drawn to the network by word that Sawyer was behaving, by one description, “a bit wacky.”
“Bad night for Romney,” one tweeter summed up. “Worse night for Diane Sawyer?”
She did not address it on Wednesday’s “World News” broadcast.
ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again