- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Tuning in to TV: Vice President Biden does ‘Parks and Recreation’ cameo
Question of the Day
Fresh off re-election, Vice President Joseph R. Biden will appear on the NBC sitcom “Parks and Recreation” on Thursday.
The vice president’s office said Mr. Biden taped a cameo appearance in July. He said Thursday on Twitter that “my whole family loves the show, and I had a great time doing it.”
The show’s executive producer told The New York Times that Mr. Biden’s appearance was taped under strict secrecy. The show was warned that provisions might have to be made to give Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan a similar cameo if word of Mr. Biden’s participation leaked out before Tuesday’s election.
Mr. Biden frequently has been mentioned on the show as an object of fascination by lead character Leslie Knope, played by Amy Poehler.
Rihanna rocked in lingerie at Wednesday night’s Victoria's Secret fashion show in New York, providing the highlight of the live-music soundtrack and holding her own on the catwalk with some of the world’s top models.
Those models even had props, including Adriana Lima’s ringmaster wand, Doutzen Kroes’ body cage and several pairs of the oversized angel wings that the retailer has made its signature.
Still, wearing a sheer pink mini that gave glimpses of her bra, Rihanna sang “Fresh Out the Runway” at the end of the corset-and-garter parade and she was the one to grab the audience’s biggest applause.
The fashion show has become a preholiday-season tradition for the retailer. CBS will turn it into a one-hour special, also featuring performances from Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars, to be shown on Dec. 4.
This year’s event had a slight twist. It started with an announcer noting that Victoria's Secret and CBS each had made a donation to Superstorm Sandy relief efforts, and a thank you to the National Guard members based out of the Lexington Avenue Armory that has for years been home to the show.
Mostly, though, models are encouraged to smile, ham it up and show off the extra time at the gym that most admit undergoing in the weeks beforehand. “It’s highly televised, and you take that into consideration,” said model Joan Smalls ahead of the show. “This is kind of not the same as other runways. You have to prepare your body: No. 1 is the wings are heavy, and No. 2 is you have to be comfortable with your body because the camera will pick up on it if you’re not comfortable and confident.”
Adam Lambert to host, perform on ‘VH1 Divas’
“VH1 Divas” will be getting some testosterone this year: Adam Lambert is joining in.
Mr. Lambert will host and perform at the Dec. 16 event. Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Kelly Rowland, Jordin Sparks and Ciara also will hit the stage at the special honoring dance music and its current and classic divas.
Tributes to the late Whitney Houston and Donna Summer also are planned.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world