- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
Lenovo overtakes HP as biggest PC maker
NEW YORK (AP) - Worldwide sales of PCs fell sharply in the third quarter, two research firms said Wednesday, as consumers held off for the new version of Windows and spent their electronics dollars on smartphones and tablets instead.
Gartner also estimates that China’s Lenovo Group Ltd. outsold Hewlett-Packard Co. for the first time to become the world’s largest seller of PCs, but IDC disagreed and kept HP in the No. 1 spot, though by a narrow margin.
Microsoft is launching its new operating system, Windows 8, on Oct. 26. It’s designed to work better on tablets and PCs with touch screens.
A third research firm, IHS iSuppli, projected Wednesday that PC shipments will fall this year, for the first time since 2011.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- CPAC 2014: Huckabee says government impeding religious liberty
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again