- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Lenovo overtakes HP as biggest PC maker
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Worldwide sales of PCs fell sharply in the third quarter, two research firms said Wednesday, as consumers held off for the new version of Windows and spent their electronics dollars on smartphones and tablets instead.
Gartner and IDC said global PC sales fell 8.3 percent and 8.6 percent, respectively.
Gartner also estimates that China's Lenovo Group Ltd. outsold Hewlett-Packard Co. for the first time to become the world's largest seller of PCs, but IDC disagreed and kept HP in the No. 1 spot, though by a narrow margin.
Lenovo vaulted onto the international scene when it bought IBM's PC division in 2005. It's been the No. 2 PC maker in the world for a few years, behind Hewlett-Packard Co.
Gartner and IDC agreed that Lenovo was the only one of the top four PC makers that saw an increase in sales, thanks to low prices. Dell Inc. of the U.S. and Acer Group of Taiwan are No. 3 and 4.
Microsoft is launching its new operating system, Windows 8, on Oct. 26. It's designed to work better on tablets and PCs with touch screens.
A third research firm, IHS iSuppli, projected Wednesday that PC shipments will fall this year, for the first time since 2011.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq