- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge says feds can’t fine commercial user
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Mushrooms jazz up chicken soup
Abasic chicken soup is fine for when you need warmth and comfort.
But what about those particularly blustery fall evenings when fine isn’t sufficient? For those evenings, we have created this more robust take on the basic chicken soup, a version that oozes even more comfort and warmth thanks to the starches and savory ingredients.
First, the latter. We amplify the savory side of this soup by sauteing a pound of mixed mushrooms. Then for good measure, we also add a handful of dried porcini mushrooms. For starchy comfort, we top the soup with pillowy soft dumplings. To tie it all together, we lace the dumplings with savory Parmesan cheese.
Want to make it vegetarian? Just substitute vegetable broth and leave out the chicken.
MUSHROOM AND CHICKEN BARLEY SOUP WITH PARMESAN DUMPLINGS
Start to finish: 45 minutes
For the soup:
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 pound mixed sliced mushrooms
2 medium shallots, sliced
1 leek, white part only, sliced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again