- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
Sebastian Vettel fastest in practice for Korean GP
Question of the Day
YEONGAM, SOUTH KOREA (AP) - Sebastian Vettel had the fastest time in Friday’s practice for the Korean Grand Prix, edging Red Bull teammate Mark Webber and Formula One leader Fernando Alonso.
Vettel, who has won the previous two races to move within four points of Alonso in the drivers’ standings, was 0.032 seconds faster than Webber at the Yeongam circuit. Alonso, who drives for Ferrari, was 0.328 seconds off the pace.
“This afternoon (the track) was quite slippery to start with,” Vettel said. “But then I think it got a little bit better so, all in all, the car felt all right and now we see what we can do for tomorrow. I think we have to improve ourselves to match the others.”
Alonso, who crashed out at the first turn of the Japanese GP after starting sixth on the grid, will be looking for better results in qualifying Saturday.
“It’s hard to say where we are compared to others,” Alonso said, “because today we focused mainly on ourselves, working this morning on a comparison of various ideas relating to car configuration and, in the afternoon, on the tires.”
McLaren driver Jenson Button was fourth, followed by Mercedes rival Michael Schumacher and Ferrari driver Felipe Massa. Button’s teammate, Lewis Hamilton, was fastest in the morning session but struggled to find speed on the softer tires in the afternoon and finished eighth behind Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg.
“The first session was great, I don’t really know what happened after that,” Hamilton said. “I’m sure we’ll find out what the problem is.”
Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg was ninth while Lotus rival Kimi Raikonnen _ third in the championship standings _ was 10th.
Many drivers struggled to find grip on the dusty track. Hamilton went off the track late in the afternoon, as did Williams driver Bruno Senna, who finished 12th.
Sergio Perez experienced engine trouble with his Sauber, which ground to a halt midway through the session. Race marshals had to roll the car off the track at Turn 12 and Perez was done for the day.
The Mexican driver, who will move to McLaren next year, had to settle for 15th place after 11 laps.
Webber and Vettel swapped the top spot for almost the entire second practice.
Friday’s result was an early indication that the Red Bulls will be tough to beat on the weekend, when Vettel will be aiming to overtake Alonso in the drivers’ standings and the team tries to extend its lead in the constructors’ championship.
Vettel won the Korean GP last year.
Button said the Red Bull drivers are becoming stronger as the season winds down.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
- Prevention of school massacre shoots down arguments for Colorado gun control laws
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- CARUSO: Driving off Russian aggression with U.S. natural gas
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow