- Associated Press - Monday, October 15, 2012

GROSSETO, Italy (AP) — A theater in Italy turned into a courtroom Monday, providing extra space for all those who needed to hear the evidence against the captain of a shipwrecked cruise ship.

The case of Francesco Schettino, 51, has generated such interest that the Tuscan city of Grosseto chose the larger space to accommodate all those who had a legitimate claim to be at the closed-door hearing.

Thirty-two people died after Mr. Schettino, in a stunt, took the CostaConcordia cruise ship off course and brought it close to the Tuscan island of Giglio on Jan 13. The ship then ran aground and capsized. Mr. Schettino himself became a lightning rod for international disdain for having left the ship before everyone was evacuated.

Mr. Schettino appeared at the hearing Monday, as well as passengers who survived the deadly shipwreck, the families of those who died in it and scores of lawyers trying to get more compensation for them.

“We want to look him in the eye to see how he will react to the accusations,” said German survivor Michael Liessen, 50, who attended with his wife.

Costa Concordia First Officer Ciro Ambrosio arrives at the Teatro Moderno in Grosseto, Italy, on Monday, Oct. 15, 2012, for the first hearing in the Jan. 13, 2012, grounding of the ship, in which 32 people died. (AP Photo/Alessandro La Rocca, Lapresse)
Costa Concordia First Officer Ciro Ambrosio arrives at the Teatro Moderno in ... more >

Another survivor said he even talked with Mr. Schettino.

“When he looked at me, I told him I was on board the CostaConcordia. He stood up and we shook hands, as it is normal between two polite people,” Luciano Castro, 48, who has published a book in Italy about the disaster, told The Associated Press. “I told him I hoped the truth would come out soon. In that moment, he replied, ‘Yes, it must be established.’”

Mr. Castro added that Mr. Schettino appeared to be “very embarrassed. He was very cautious, probably not expecting that somebody would approach him.”

Wearing dark glasses and a suit, Mr. Schettino used a back entrance to slip into the theater, making no comment to reporters outside. Lawyers said he listened intently to the proceedings, where his attorneys raised some objections to the evidence being submitted against Mr. Schettino and eight others accused in the shipwreck, including crew members and officials from Concordia owner Costa Crociere SpA.

Nevertheless, one member of Mr. Schettino’s defense team, Francesco Pepe, seemed confident, saying during a break that “responsibilities that aren’t all Schettino’s are beginning to emerge.”

Hearings this week through Wednesday will help decide whether the judge will order a trial for Mr. Schettino, who is accused of manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning ship while passengers and crew were still aboard. He denies the accusations and hasn’t been charged. Any trial is unlikely to begin before next year.

Off the Tuscan coast and just outside Giglio’s port, the hulk of the Concordia still lies on its side, resting on a rocky seabed ledge, the object of gawkers and a painful symbol of the disaster for islanders and survivors. Experts are carrying out a complicated salvage plan to get the 1,000-foot-long vessel upright so it can be towed to the mainland.

A key question is how much of the blame should Mr. Schettino bear alone and how much responsibility for the disaster lies with his crew and employer, Costa Crociere, a division of the Miami-based Carnival Corp.

Costa Crociere has denied that it was negligent and has distanced itself from Mr.  Schettino, firing him in July, although he is fighting to get his job back.

Last month, court-appointed experts delivered a 270-page report of what went wrong that night based on an analysis of data recorders, ship communications equipment, testimony and other evidence.

Story Continues →