- Cops: 2 shoot up heroin as kids play at McDonald’s
- Drug charges against husband of Va. daycare owner
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after ‘indication’ of Malaysian jet crash
- Vertical Group trader jumps in front of commuter train: report
- Brazilian goalkeeper who ordered girlfriend’s murder may be released to play soccer
- Harlem explosion death toll rises to 7; some still missing
- 2 dead, 23 hurt when driver plows into SXSW crowd
- Gaza militants offer Israel cease-fire of rocket blasts
- Pennsylvania Rep. Chaka Fattah vows to fight federal subpoena
- Ron Paul: CIA spying is a result of a distrustful, big government
Browns sale to Haslam approved; Holmgren to leave
CHICAGO (AP) - Mike Holmgren won’t be finishing the job he went to do in Cleveland.
Haslam was introduced as the Browns‘ new boss after the 32 NFL owners unanimously approved his $1 billion purchase of the team from Randy Lerner. Moments later, Haslam announced that former Eagles President Joe Banner would become chief executive officer. The move takes effect Oct. 25 when the sale is concluded.
The Browns were the last team to win a game this year, beating Cincinnati on Sunday after five losses. They are tied with Kansas City for the worst record in the league.
Later Tuesday, the NFL confirmed that Minnesota will host Pittsburgh in a second London game next year. The Vikings and Steelers will play at Wembley Stadium on Sept. 29, 2013, four weeks before Jacksonville hosts San Francisco at Wembley.
The league also announced that Houston, San Francisco and South Florida will bid for the 2016 and `17 Super Bowls.
“He has been and still is committed to doing everything he can to make the Cleveland Browns a winning football team,” Haslam said of Holmgren, whose Browns are 10-28 since he was hired by Lerner to run football operations in 2010.
Holmgren led the Green Bay Packers to the 1996 NFL championship and lost in the Super Bowl the next year to Denver. He left the Packers in 1999 to become coach and general manager in Seattle. Six years later, the Seahawks won the AFC title _ Holmgren had given up much of his personnel duties by then to concentrate on coaching _ and fell to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.
His time in Cleveland has been far from successful, though. Indeed, Haslam has said his mission is to bring winning football back to Cleveland; the Browns have made the playoffs once since returning to the NFL in 1999.
“I would never stand here and say we need to have `X’ number of wins, but we want to see a positive direction,” Haslam said. “I think we want to see continued improvement and we want to see them play hard.”
Banner left the Eagles in June. He was been with them since 1994 and was team president when he resigned.
“His track record in Philadelphia has been impressive,” Haslam said. “Joe is in charge of day-to-day operations of the company. Any big decisions, we will be involved in. Football (operations) will report to Joe.”
The late Al Lerner, Randy’s father, purchased the franchise from the NFL in 1998 for $530 million after the original Browns moved to Baltimore in 1996 and became the Ravens. The elder Lerner died in 2002.
The Browns made the playoffs in 2002 and lost to Pittsburgh in the first round. They’ve had only two winning records in 13 seasons.
Also at the meetings:
_ Owners amended an anti-tampering resolution. Three days before a player becomes a free agent, teams will be permitted to contact the player’s agent and begin contract negotiations. But a contract can’t be completed until after free agency begins, and no direct contact is allowed with the player before his contract expires _ except by his current team.
_ South Florida and San Francisco _ actually Santa Clara, where the 49ers are building a new stadium _ will compete to host the 50th Super Bowl in 2016. The loser of that bid will compete with Houston for the 2017 game.
Some owners have said SunLife Stadium in Miami needs major upgrades before it should be considered for another Super Bowl; Miami has hosted the most NFL title games, 10.
“We understand the Dolphins and South Florida are looking at renovations and they do feel that is a large part of their bid,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said.
Houston has hosted two Super Bowl, the last in 2004. There was one Super Bowl in the San Francisco Bay Area, at Palo Alto, Calif., in 1985.
“Nothing brings a region together like a Super Bowl,” 49ers CEO Jed York said.
_ Asked if he would recuse himself from the appeals process, as the four players punished in the Saints bounty probe have asked, Goodell said he would respond to the letters requesting that “after these meetings.”
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Redskins' secondary holes remain unfilled amid NFL free-agent frenzy
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- Critics point to Obama's attempts to sell health care as no laughing matter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again