- NTSB hearing on San Francisco airliner crash postponed
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford insists he has dried out, vows sobriety test
- Greenpeace video warns that climate change is wrecking Santa’s home
- Herman Cain profiled in ‘Political Power’ comic book
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
- Fire departments fear Obamacare will gut volunteer ranks
- Rep. Alan Grayson loses $18M in stock scheme
- Christmas secularists get 6-foot beer-can Festivus pole at Florida Statehouse
- George Zimmerman’s girlfriend flips on assault: Let ‘my boyfriend’ go
- Lululemon Athletica chairman quits after firestorm over his fat-thighs comment
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hasan case an Army embarrassment
The Fort Hood murder case against Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan is becoming a major embarrassment for the U.S. Army, as it cannot even bring one of its own officers to trial shaven in accordance with basic institutional regulations (“Fort Hood suspect Hasan’s beard case at appeals court,” Web, Oct. 11).
This could be solved very simply. The Army has Maj. Hasan interviewed by two psychologists — one of the Army’s choosing and one of Maj. Hasan‘s. He’s forcibly shaven under Army regulations like any private would be. A simple judgment is reached that aiming a loaded pistol at more than 30 people and repeatedly pulling the trigger while watching those he has shot die in agony is evidence of a conscious thought process. Maj. Hasan is found guilty and dealt with to the full extent of the law.
Whether it’s political correctness run amok over Maj. Hasan’s religion or the Army importing the worst of California-style liberalism into its court system, this case is becoming an embarrassment. The Army needs to get serious.
West Jefferson, Ohio
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- Oregon fails to sign up single person on health care website as states struggle
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- George Zimmermans girlfriend flips on assault: Let my boyfriend go
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service