- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Illness hits Spain’s El Bulli front-of-house man
Question of the Day
MADRID (AP) - The man who ran El Bulli, the world’s most acclaimed restaurant, for 30 years has stepped down from the culinary foundation he headed because of illness, the restaurateur’s family said in a statement.
Juli Soler, the maitre d who discovered and signed up top chef Ferran Adria, has left the El Bulli Foundation after being diagnosed with a neuro-degenerative disease, the statement said Friday.
Since his arrival at El Bulli in 1981, Soler became an essential figure in what became one of the world’s most influential restaurants.
Alongside Adria, he revolutionized diners’ experiences to the point that El Bulli maintained the almost unattainable Michelin three-star status for over a decade and was rated the world’s best restaurant five times by British magazine The Restaurant. El Bulli closed last year.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq