- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Bell dealt to D-backs, who trade Young to Oakland
Question of the Day
Towers said that Bell may have been uncomfortable with his high-profile signing in the Miami makeover.
“Maybe a lot of it had to do with the pressure, his first big contract,” Towers said, adding that Bell “was really the first big signing” the Marlins had in the offseason.
With considerable money invested in the bullpen, Towers said it’s particularly important to have a strong group of relievers while Arizona’s young starting rotation. He said Arizona still needs a late-inning left-handed reliever and perhaps a veteran starter.
This could be a sign Beane, the A’s general manage,might try to move center fielder Coco Crisp, who signed a $14 million, two-year contract in January that includes a $7.5 million club option for 2014 with a $1 million buyout. Beane, however, said he plans to keep Crisp, though he realized there would be speculation otherwise.
” I really like our outfield,” Beane said. “Everybody knows how important this guy is to this team and also has the benefit of being a personal favorite of mine.”
Oakland already acquired shortstop Stephen Drew from the Diamondbacks this season and he helped them down the stretch. The A’s overtook Texas on the final day of the regular season to win the AL West and returned to the playoffs for the first time since 2006. They lost in five games to the World Series-bound Detroit Tigers.
Beane said the day after the season ended he planned to keep his young team intact as much as possible. Last offseason, Oakland traded three top pitchers: Trevor Cahill to Arizona, Gio Gonzalez to Washington and closer Andrew Bailey to Boston.
The 29-year-old Young, a popular player in the Arizona clubhouse, has had three 20-homer, 20-steal seasons. He injured his right shoulder crashing into a wall while making a catch early this season and struggled at the plate after. A quadriceps injury in early September sent Young to the bench in favor of Eaton.
AP Baseball Writer Janie McCauley and AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.
Out of "the shadows," they demand citizenship without consequences
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors