- Pentagon: U.S. F-16 fighter jets to train with Poland near Ukraine
- Jerry Sandusky’s wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Ben Carson: America’s now ‘very much like Nazi Germany’
- Heroin found on N.J. toddler at day care
- Pistorius trial: Police conduct faces scrutiny
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- CBO chief: Projected job loss numbers from minimum wage hike are fluid
- Rep. Rangel: ‘No question’ Harlem explosion is result of gas leak, not terrorism
- Dog left in car blasts horn for 15 minutes
- DCCC chair hopes Alex Sink will run again in November
Killing of Lebanese general blamed on Syria
It was unclear whether the guards fired in the air or shot blanks, but no protesters appeared to be injured.
In a telephone call with Lebanon’s Future TV, former Prime Minister Saad Hariri urged his supporters to stop their attack. “We are peace supporters and against violence,” he said.
The security forces appeared woefully unprepared for the protest, and their numbers were smaller than those usually deployed for much less contentious rallies.
After about an hour of clashes, more guards arrived, along with scores of helmet-clad commandos carrying long sticks and nunchucks. They stood shoulder to shoulder across the road and blocked the protesters from advancing farther.
Unrest broke out elsewhere in Lebanon, too. Protesters blocked major roads in Beirut and in the north with rows of burning tires and briefly closed the country’s main highway to the south, the national news agency said.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Female TSA officers say pat-down duty leads to workplace discrimination
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Special ops forces wearing thin from high demand
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again