- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
ON FOOTBALL: RG3 is a Redskin with a magic touch
They got a close-up look Sunday at what’s in store, and it was downright scary for the Super Bowl champions.
“I’m not even going to lie: That’s the best quarterback we’ve played this year, for sure,” defensive end Osi Umenyiora said after Griffin did everything but beat his team. “It’s just unfortunate that he’s a rookie because he’s going to be around here forever doing stuff like that. That’s just crazy.”
The excitement RG3 brings to every game _ make that every offensive play _ for the Redskins is unmatched in the NFL. The skill set might be, too.
It’s something the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles will be dealing with for a long time.
“I’m pretty mad at the football gods for putting him in the NFC East,” Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said. “To face that guy twice a year is going to be a headache. It’s hard to game-plan that guy. He takes away from your enthusiasm for the game when you play a play perfectly and he still has 4.3 speed to make plays.
“I don’t think there is anybody in the league just like him. If I was going to run an offense and they asked me Vick, Cam Newton or RG3, I’m taking that guy hands down.”
Hands were up everywhere from guys willing to praise Griffin, the second overall pick in this year’s draft behind another precocious quarterback, Andrew Luck.
This is a transition year for the Redskins. Yet with Griffin working his magic _ pinpoint passes such as a 30-yarder to Santana Moss that gave Washington a late lead Sunday; sprints around the ends during which Griffin outruns cornerbacks with 4.4 speed; wild scrambles that leave All-Pro defenders sprawled on the ground empty-handed _ they are in every game.
Griffin brings talents similar to Vick with his speed and change of direction. Except he’s apparently faster and shiftier than Vick. And bigger at a sturdy 6-foot-2, 217 pounds to Vick’s alleged 6-0, 215.
His arm is as strong as just about any NFL quarterback, and he shows touch as well as strength. The throw to Moss was as masterful as Peyton or Eli Manning would ever manage. He rarely puts balls up for grabs and has the power to squeeze passes between defenders.
Then there is his knack for escape that’s reminiscent of John Elway and even the original scrambler, Fran Tarkenton. Except the Broncos and Vikings rarely, if ever, designed runs for their QB. For Washington, letting RG3 run wild will be a significant part of the game plan.
Griffin was a 400-meter hurdler in college with Olympic aspirations. You won’t find many of those in the NFL, either. And none at quarterback.
“We know offensively we can do anything with the ball in his hands,” Moss said. “We’ve just got to try when we get the opportunities to make sure the guy who can make plays has the ball in his hands. He’s giving you a chance to get open. Even when it’s hard, he gives you opportunities and there are not many quarterbacks who can do that.”
Griffin is matter-of-fact in answering questions about his transcendent talents. Asked about his remarkable fourth-quarter scramble on fourth-and-10 that eventually ended with a 19-yard completion that set up the go-ahead TD pass to Moss, he simply recounted the play as if it happens all the time.
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes 'your paycheck'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.