- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Alicia Keys launches storytelling app for kids
NEW YORK (AP) - Alicia Keys, after giving birth to her son two years ago, said she wanted to create tools for children. Now she’s launching an app for kids.
“The Journals of Mama Mae and LeeLee” is about a young New York City girl’s relationship with her wise grandmother. Keys produced music for the interactive app, which will be released Thursday for $3.99.
“It’s a new adventure for me, and I’m really enjoying it,” the Grammy Award winner said in an interview Wednesday.
The app is loosely based on Keys‘ relationship with her grandmother. It’s centered in LeeLee’s bedroom, and it allows users to read books, play music and write in a journal.
“It does remind me of my world,” the New York-born singer said. “The piano, the journal, music’s such a big part of my life, the city, all of that.”
“I was just getting introduced to kind of the TV shows and the DVDs and all the things you start kind of introducing your kids to, and I thought how cool it would be to be a part of something that really allows them to hear music from different places, different cultures, different sounds,” she said. “That’s what we’re able to do with this.”
Keys is a 14-time Grammy winner. Her fifth album, “Girl On Fire,” is out Nov. 27. Maxwell, Jamie xx, Bruno Mars and John Legend are among the featured acts and songwriters.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu on Twitter at http://twitter.com/musicmesfin.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again