- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America unprepared for nuclear Iran
Question of the Day
Iran continues its march toward a nuclear weapon, and the world is not prepared. Neither of the two presidential candidates seem to want to come to grips with the idea of a nuclear Iran. The implications of reaching a "red line" have not been made clear in the debates of this election season, and no one seems intent on defining for the American people what is at stake or what can be expected should a military strike on Iran eventually happen.
Is it political manipulation or an intelligence failure that prevents our leaders from shooting straight with us Americans about what we can expect or what preparations are in the works for this potential scenario? Iran has been preparing for war for years. Its leadership knows that war is imminent, and the mullahs have been engaged in war councils more than once to ensure that preparations for an all-out battle are in place.
This time, America must be prepared for hostilities on its soil. Terrorist surrogates of Iran are already here, and the effects could endanger our lives and destroy our infrastructure and commerce. Furthermore, the turmoil in America would be matched or exceeded by war in the Middle East, where American military assets would be engaged with Iran if it attacked Israel.
The day of reckoning is near, and it is getting late in the day for our leadership to prepare us for what is to come.
North Las Vegas, Nev.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so