- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 24, 2012

LONDON (AP) - The child abuse scandal that has enveloped one of Britain’s most respected news organizations is now hitting one of America’s, as the incoming president of The New York Times is on the defensive about his final days as head of the BBC.

Mark Thompson was in charge of the BBC in late 2011 when the broadcaster shelved what would have been a bombshell investigation alleging that the late Jimmy Savile, one of its biggest stars, was a serial sex offender.

The BBC scandal has horrified Britain with revelations that Savile, a popular children’s television presenter, cajoled and coerced vulnerable teens into having sex with him in his car, in his camper van, and even in dingy dressing rooms on BBC premises. He is also alleged to have sexually assaulted disabled children at hospitals that he helped by raising charity funds.

Police say there could be more than 200 victims, leading one child protection charity to say that Savile could rank among Britain’s most prolific child sex predators.


In a sign of how the scandal may spread, the BBC said Tuesday it was looking into claims of sexual abuse and harassment against nine other current and former employees and contributors.

As increasing numbers of BBC executives come under the microscope over what they knew about Savile _ and why the posthumous expose about his sexual crimes was blocked from being broadcast _ Thompson is being quizzed about his role as well.

Thompson, 55, was the BBC director-general from 2004 until last month.

In a letter to Conservative lawmaker Rob Wilson, Thompson laid out his defense, saying he never worked with Savile, never worked on any of the entertainer’s programs and indeed never met the man. Referring to the increasing number of BBC employees who have come forward to say that Savile’s interest in young girls was widely rumored, Thompson said he had never been aware of the whispers.

“If I had, I would have raised them with senior colleagues and contacted the police,” said Thompson.

The controversy over Saville was compounded when it emerged that an investigation into his misdeeds by the BBC’s own “Newsnight” program was shelved last year only weeks before the broadcaster aired a glowing holiday tribute show to Savile.

Now journalists and lawmakers are asking whether BBC bosses canned the “Newsnight” show to protect their star, a prodigious charity fundraiser who was widely eulogized following his death last year at age 84.

The corporation denies a cover-up, although “Newsnight” editor Peter Rippon recently stepped down as the BBC’s internal investigation got under way. After weeks of standing by Rippon, the BBC has said his explanation about why the Savile show was not broadcast was incomplete and inaccurate.

With Thompson about to move from one of the most important jobs in the British media to one of most important jobs in American journalism, exactly what he knew _ and when he knew it _could be critical to his future career.

In a statement last week, Thompson said he had “never heard any allegations or received any complaints” about Savile during his tenure.

But an Oct. 7 story by London’s Sunday Times appeared to contradict him, reporting that a BBC journalist had tipped Thompson off about the Savile investigation.

Story Continues →