Continued from page 1

Officers have interviewed 130 of the 300 potential victims so far and even more are expected to contact authorities, Commander Peter Spindler, leader of the Scotland Yard inquiry, said Thursday.

The once-popular children’s television and radio presenter is accused of using his fame to coerce vulnerable teens into having sex with him in his car, in his camper van, and even in dingy dressing rooms on BBC premises.

Since the allegations aired on British television earlier this month, London police have received three times the usual number of calls about allegations of past sexual abuse. The NSPCC, a leading British children’s charity, said it had received 60 percent more calls about abuse cases.

“I have no doubt that we are in a watershed moment for child abuse investigations,” Commander Spindler said.

Previously feted for his charity work at hospitals and children’s homes, Savile is alleged to have deliberately supported such causes to target troubled youths whose credibility would be questioned if they reported the alleged sexual abuse.

Commander Spindler also disclosed for the first time that a retired London police officer had contacted Scotland Yard to confirm that he investigated Savile in the 1980s after a young woman alleged the presenter indecently assaulted her inside his trailer while it was parked on BBC premises.

The ex-officer had explained there hadn’t been sufficient evidence to prosecute Savile at the time, Commander Spindler said.

The police commander acknowledged he had been stunned by the volume of abuse allegations reported to his team of 30 officers in the three weeks since details first came to public attention.

Commander Spindler said that Savile, who died last October at age 84, was “undoubtedly” one of the most prolific sex offenders in recent British history.

The Savile scandal has rocked the BBC and prompted disbelief that the presenter’s crimes could have gone unnoticed or unreported by colleagues or managers.

Reality show offers $10M for proof Big Foot exists

If Big Foot does exist, proof of that just got very lucrative.

Spike TV announced Thursday a 10-episode pickup for “10 Million Dollar Big Foot Bounty,” a new reality competition that’s offering what would be the largest cash prize in TV history. The only catch is that the titular $10 million, backed by insurers of the bizarre at Lloyd’s of London, can only be awarded to a contestant that provides irrefutable evidence that Big Foot exists.

Scientists, zoologists, trackers and actual Big Foot hunters are among the competitors the series is lining up, with casting already under way. Teams will present their evidence to Big Foot “experts” in attempt to win the prize. Each of the 10 episodes will follow different teams tackling the search with different methods.

Production will take place at locations across the U.S.

Story Continues →