The pop star will be the latest musician to join Miss Winfrey on her OWN show “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” following recent interviews with Rihanna and Fergie. The episode will air Nov. 25, and will head backstage at a Bieber Believe tour date as well as include a sit-down interview.
“Me and the Bieber just finished our interview,” Miss Winfrey wrote on Facebook on Wednesday, sharing a picture of herself with the teen singer. “Good stuff!”
Mr. Bieber is in the midst of a busy year — his “Believe” world tour, in support of his chart-topping album of the same name, extends through April. He’ll have to find time to celebrate, though: his YouTube channel passed 3 billion views on Wednesday.
Mr. Bieber is the first musician to hit the mark, with Rihanna and Lady Gaga trailing in the 2 billion range. Mr. Bieber didn’t break the record all by himself — he had a hand from Nicki Minaj, whose appearance in the “Beauty and a Beat” video helped it score 43 million views in its first week.
Netflix subscriptions hit 30 million mark
Netflix said Thursday it now has more than 30 million subscribers worldwide, including some 5 million outside the United States as the Internet video service pursues a global expansion.
“Thirty million of you are now Netflix streaming members. I’d like to express my gratitude to each of you,” chief executive Reed Hastings said on his Facebook page.
“Your choice to be a Netflix member helps us get more content every year, and helps us further improve our member experience. You make it possible for us to offer the most amazing Internet television experience ever.”
Netflix hit the 10-million member milestone in 2009, a decade after it launched its DVD-by-mail service in the United States.
The number jumped to 20 million members by the end of 2010 with the adoption of the Netflix streaming video service in the U.S. and Canada.
Netflix currently is available in 51 countries, with Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland the most recent additions.
U.K. police: 300 accuse BBC host of sex abuse
BBC entertainer Jimmy Savile was investigated in the 1980s over an allegation of indecent assault, police said Thursday as they announced that 300 potential victims had come forward so far with abuse accusations against the late TV host.
The twin announcements showed how a sex abuse scandal that is engulfing one of Britain’s most venerable news organizations was showing no signs of abating.
Officers have interviewed 130 of the 300 potential victims so far and even more are expected to contact authorities, Commander Peter Spindler, leader of the Scotland Yard inquiry, said Thursday.
The once-popular children’s television and radio presenter is accused of using his fame to coerce vulnerable teens into having sex with him in his car, in his camper van, and even in dingy dressing rooms on BBC premises.
Since the allegations aired on British television earlier this month, London police have received three times the usual number of calls about allegations of past sexual abuse. The NSPCC, a leading British children’s charity, said it had received 60 percent more calls about abuse cases.
“I have no doubt that we are in a watershed moment for child abuse investigations,” Commander Spindler said.
Previously feted for his charity work at hospitals and children’s homes, Savile is alleged to have deliberately supported such causes to target troubled youths whose credibility would be questioned if they reported the alleged sexual abuse.
Commander Spindler also disclosed for the first time that a retired London police officer had contacted Scotland Yard to confirm that he investigated Savile in the 1980s after a young woman alleged the presenter indecently assaulted her inside his trailer while it was parked on BBC premises.
The ex-officer had explained there hadn’t been sufficient evidence to prosecute Savile at the time, Commander Spindler said.
The police commander acknowledged he had been stunned by the volume of abuse allegations reported to his team of 30 officers in the three weeks since details first came to public attention.
Commander Spindler said that Savile, who died last October at age 84, was “undoubtedly” one of the most prolific sex offenders in recent British history.
The Savile scandal has rocked the BBC and prompted disbelief that the presenter’s crimes could have gone unnoticed or unreported by colleagues or managers.
Reality show offers $10M for proof Big Foot exists
If Big Foot does exist, proof of that just got very lucrative.
Spike TV announced Thursday a 10-episode pickup for “10 Million Dollar Big Foot Bounty,” a new reality competition that’s offering what would be the largest cash prize in TV history. The only catch is that the titular $10 million, backed by insurers of the bizarre at Lloyd’s of London, can only be awarded to a contestant that provides irrefutable evidence that Big Foot exists.
Scientists, zoologists, trackers and actual Big Foot hunters are among the competitors the series is lining up, with casting already under way. Teams will present their evidence to Big Foot “experts” in attempt to win the prize. Each of the 10 episodes will follow different teams tackling the search with different methods.
Production will take place at locations across the U.S.
• Compiled from Web and wire reports