- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Windows 8 event a subdued affair, theatrics absent
Question of the Day
It followed that with a separate presentation in which Surface general manager Panos Panay dropped the tablet from shoulder height to the stage without breaking it to demonstrate the toughness of its glass and magnesium case. Sinofsky also showed off a couple of Surface devices the team had turned into skateboards by screwing on rails and wheels.
Ballmer, wrapping up an initial presentation, appeared to address concerns that the new Windows 8 interface, which emphasizes touch, has annoyed some early PC reviewers.
“Windows 8 shatters perceptions of what a PC now really is.”
Later, he addressed a concern that some PC users have had with pre-release versions of the software _ that it lacks a familiar “Start” button containing programs, settings and other controls. Microsoft has said its new interface, with its automatically updating tiles on the opening screen, replaces that button.
Asked by an Associated Press reporter if he might bring the “Start” button back, Ballmer replied, “You’ve got a whole screen as a `Start’ button,” while hurrying off.
Nakashima contributed from Los Angeles.
TWT Video Picks
By Richard Rahn
Treaty would let tyrants peer into Americans' financial information
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq