- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
`Argo’ reigns at the box office in its third week
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - “Argo” finally reached the top of the box office in its third week in theaters.
The Warner Bros. thriller, directed by and starring Ben Affleck, had been sitting at No. 2 the past two weeks. It made just over $12 million this past weekend for a total of $60.5 million, according to final studio figures Monday.
“Cloud Atlas” actually had a slightly better debut than Sunday estimates to jump from third to second place. Also from Warner Bros., the sprawling drama starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and an ensemble cast made $9.6 million.
The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theaters Friday through Sunday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theater locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by Hollywood.com are:
1. “Argo,” Warner Bros., $12,085,059, 2855 locations, $4,233 average, $60,510,347, three weeks.
2. “Cloud Atlas,” Warner Bros., $9,612,247, 2008 locations, $4,787 average, $9,612,247, one week.
3. “Hotel Transylvania,” Sony, $9,444,014, 3276 locations, $2,883 average, $130,380,355, five weeks.
4. “Paranormal Activity 4,” Paramount, $8,510,186, 3412 locations, $2,494 average, $42,467,551, two weeks.
5. “Silent Hill: Revelation 3-D,” Open Road Films, $8,023,036, 2933 locations, $2,735 average, $8,023,036, one week.
6. “Taken 2,” Fox, $7,716,732, 2995 locations, $2,577 average, $117,105,577, four weeks.
7. “Here Comes the Boom,” Sony, $5,210,024, 2491 locations, $2,092 average, $30,320,496, three weeks.
8. “Alex Cross,” Summit, $5,133,486, 2541 locations, $2,020 average, $19,452,177, two weeks.
9. “Sinister,” Summit, $4,996,099, 2347 locations, $2,129 average, $39,441,054, three weeks.
10. “Fun Size,” Paramount, $4,101,017, 3014 locations, $1,361 average, $4,101,017, one week.
11. “Pitch Perfect,” Universal, $3,948,025, 1999 locations, $1,975 average, $51,300,258, five weeks.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world