- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
`Argo’ reigns at the box office in its third week
LOS ANGELES (AP) - “Argo” finally reached the top of the box office in its third week in theaters.
The Warner Bros. thriller, directed by and starring Ben Affleck, had been sitting at No. 2 the past two weeks. It made just over $12 million this past weekend for a total of $60.5 million, according to final studio figures Monday.
“Cloud Atlas” actually had a slightly better debut than Sunday estimates to jump from third to second place. Also from Warner Bros., the sprawling drama starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and an ensemble cast made $9.6 million.
The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theaters Friday through Sunday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theater locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by Hollywood.com are:
1. “Argo,” Warner Bros., $12,085,059, 2855 locations, $4,233 average, $60,510,347, three weeks.
2. “Cloud Atlas,” Warner Bros., $9,612,247, 2008 locations, $4,787 average, $9,612,247, one week.
3. “Hotel Transylvania,” Sony, $9,444,014, 3276 locations, $2,883 average, $130,380,355, five weeks.
4. “Paranormal Activity 4,” Paramount, $8,510,186, 3412 locations, $2,494 average, $42,467,551, two weeks.
5. “Silent Hill: Revelation 3-D,” Open Road Films, $8,023,036, 2933 locations, $2,735 average, $8,023,036, one week.
6. “Taken 2,” Fox, $7,716,732, 2995 locations, $2,577 average, $117,105,577, four weeks.
7. “Here Comes the Boom,” Sony, $5,210,024, 2491 locations, $2,092 average, $30,320,496, three weeks.
8. “Alex Cross,” Summit, $5,133,486, 2541 locations, $2,020 average, $19,452,177, two weeks.
9. “Sinister,” Summit, $4,996,099, 2347 locations, $2,129 average, $39,441,054, three weeks.
10. “Fun Size,” Paramount, $4,101,017, 3014 locations, $1,361 average, $4,101,017, one week.
11. “Pitch Perfect,” Universal, $3,948,025, 1999 locations, $1,975 average, $51,300,258, five weeks.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.