- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
Music Review: Toby Keith throws back a few more
Toby Keith wants you to know he’s not just a beer man. Whiskey will do in a pinch.
Perhaps expected from the album title, only two of the 10 new songs don’t reference some sort of drinking.
Most feature his favorite malt beverage in their titles or lyrics (“I Like Girls That Drink Beer,” “Cold Beer Country,” “Haven’t Had A Drink All Day” and a bonus remix of 2011’s “Beers Ago”), but whiskey gets its share of shout outs.
“Daddy makes the whiskey and mama say the prayers,” Keith sings in “Scat Cat,” a song about a family of moonshiners.
The songs are full of practical drinking advice as well.
“Always drink upstream from your cattle,” says an old man to a younger one in “Get Got.” “Don’t mix your whiskey with decision/Ask forgiveness not permission,” Keith sings later in the same song.
As for the music, Keith is smart enough not to mess with a winning formula. There are weeping steel guitars, omnipresent drums and an occasional fiddle. It all makes for sing-along stuff that’s sure to keep his fans happy and provide more than a few toast-worthy moments in concert.
He certainly shouldn’t have any problem finding a tour sponsor.
CHECK OUT THIS TRACK: “The Size I Wear” with the unforgettable rhyme: “She was five foot two `bout ninety-five pounds/She was round in the places she’s supposed to be round.”
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Tracy Porter, Jason Hatcher, Darryl Sharpton set to join Redskins
- NFL free agency: Revis, Sproles have new homes while Smith, Harrison are looking
- Senators reach deal on unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Obama's 'Funny or Die' gig is beneath dignity of presidency
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again