- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
AP source: Jets WR Holmes has Lisfranc injury
Question of the Day
“From the moment I walked in, I believed Mark Sanchez was going to be our guy and I was going to be the guy to be beside him 100 percent,” Holmes said last week. “Three years has been a long time running together. You just kind of find that knack for each other and have a better understanding of how things can be done on both ends.”
The position is particularly thin now with rookie Stephen Hill uncertain for the game against the Texans after being sidelined against the 49ers with a hamstring injury.
The only remaining healthy wide receivers on the roster are Chaz Schilens, Jeremy Kerley and Clyde Gates. The Jets waived Patrick Turner, another receiver, earlier Tuesday to make room on the roster for fullback Lex Hilliard.
Ryan did not rule out general manager Mike Tannenbaum looking into bringing in a free agent receiver to help.
“Mike and I haven’t really discussed those things,” Ryan said. “But whatever helps our football team, gives our football team the best chance to be successful, we’ll certainly look at those possibilities.”
Holmes helped lead Pittsburgh to a Super Bowl victory in 2009, but fell out of favor and was traded to New York in April 2010 for a fifth-round draft pick. He played a key role in the Jets‘ run to their second straight AFC championship game two seasons ago. New York re-signed him to a five-year, $45 million contract in 2011, and despite his troubles last season, the Jets kept him on the roster _ meaning the receiver is guaranteed $15.25 million over this and next season.
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq