- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Smithsonian to reopen with no major storm damage
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Smithsonian Institution’s museums and National Zoo are reopening on the National Mall after shutting their doors for two days because of superstorm Sandy.
Wednesday’s reopening will come as welcome news to tourists visiting Washington who found few businesses open as the storm passed through.
Smithsonian officials say all the museums and their facilities in Maryland and Virginia are in good condition. There was no damage to the collections. Some buildings did have leaks during the storm, but maintenance staff was on hand to place sandbags in some areas to keep the buildings mostly dry inside.
At the National Zoo, officials say the animals weathered the storm with no problem.
The Smithsonian says its National Museum of the American Indian in New York remains closed, but its collection is safe.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors