- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Some donations to gay waitress who allegedly forged hate note refunded
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Equal opportunity unemployment
The Obama administration is at it again, this time trying to modify the way the unemployment rate is calculated. As a result of this clever modification, people who have given up looking for a job are no longer counted as being unemployed.
President Obama hasn't created a single net job in four years, but he has lowered the unemployment rate by simply not counting the long-term unemployed. Brilliant. You can't accuse the Obama administration of racism when it comes to unemployment. The Obama Department of Labor doesn't care if your skin is white, black, red, green or pink. If you've stopped looking for a job, you don't count.
The 2012 presidential race is neck and neck, with Mr. Obama appearing to be searching for a message to catch fire and put him over the top. I have a slogan he might want to try out: "When it comes to the unemployment rate, Obama doesn't discriminate." Sounds like a winner to me.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Sen. Rand Paul: Long-term unemployment benefits are disservice to workers