- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
NHL Lockout 2012: League, players’ association meet in Toronto
TORONTO (AP) — The NHL and the players’ association quietly resumed collective bargaining talks Friday and expect to be in contact again in the upcoming days.
“We met with the Union today in Toronto,” Daly told the Associated Press in an email. “We are supposed to touch base over the weekend. Nothing more to report right now.”
NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon said any discussions this weekend won’t be in person.
The meeting on Friday marked the first negotiating session since talks broke off Tuesday in New York, where the sides had met four times in five days to discuss issues other than core economics.
No specifics were given about Friday’s negotiations.
“Just general discussion of where we are and how to move the process forward,” Daly said.
The sides hadn’t been expected to get together before next week, and the meeting didn’t become public until it was over. It took place one day after the NHL canceled the first two weeks of the regular season, wiping out 82 games from Oct. 11-24.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.