- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Crushing California
Question of the Day
California has the highest gas tax and most-stringent emissions regulations in the nation (“Gasoline prices skyrocket in California,” Web, Sunday). It also has the most costly special summer formulation for gasoline in the nation. The Chevron Corp. refinery in Richmond, Calif., which was shut down after an explosion in early August, supplies a substantial amount of the summer formulation to the West Coast.
There are too few refineries in California and no new refineries have been allowed. California environmentalists have restricted any new oil and gas exploration or production, and the state has the highest taxes and royalties on oil and gas production in the nation. Coupled with Environmental Protection Agency regulations, that is why California’s gas prices are the highest in the nation.
If it were not for economy-crushing environmentalists, government employee and teachers unions and the malfeasance in Sacramento, there might be hope for California’s future.
DANIEL B. JEFFS
Apple Valley, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global