- Costco status quo: Wholesaler lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
- Sarah Palin responds to Martin Bashir’s resignation, praises media
- Obama to send 2 Gitmo terror suspects back to Algeria
- Paul Walker secretly bought $9K wedding ring for Iraq vet
- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
- Executive order: Obama ups green-energy mandate on feds to 20 percent
- GOP launches candidate training: How to talk to women
- N.Y.’s Rockefeller Center lights up, as Bloomberg flicks on 76-foot Christmas tree
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Crushing California
California has the highest gas tax and most-stringent emissions regulations in the nation ("Gasoline prices skyrocket in California," Web, Sunday). It also has the most costly special summer formulation for gasoline in the nation. The Chevron Corp. refinery in Richmond, Calif., which was shut down after an explosion in early August, supplies a substantial amount of the summer formulation to the West Coast.
There are too few refineries in California and no new refineries have been allowed. California environmentalists have restricted any new oil and gas exploration or production, and the state has the highest taxes and royalties on oil and gas production in the nation. Coupled with Environmental Protection Agency regulations, that is why California's gas prices are the highest in the nation.
If it were not for economy-crushing environmentalists, government employee and teachers unions and the malfeasance in Sacramento, there might be hope for California's future.
DANIEL B. JEFFS
Apple Valley, Calif.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- HARPER: 'Knockout game' not a myth to liberal Sharpton
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts