- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Kickers to try out for Redskins as Billy Cundiff struggles
Mare, Brown reportedly to audition
“Everything is based on how they kick, or if we feel very good about somebody that’s out there that we think would give us a better chance to win,” Shanahan said.
Cundiff missed a 31-yard field goal in each of the past two games.
He is 7 for 12 on field-goal attempts this season; his 58.3 percent accuracy rate ranks 31st in the NFL.
Cundiff’s missed 62- and 57-yard attempts skew the percentage a bit, but his 31-yard miss near the end of the first half against Atlanta on Sunday sapped Washington’s momentum. Instead of the Redskins taking a 10-0 lead, Atlanta drove the field and tied the score 7-7 going into halftime.
“It definitely changed their mindset,” special teams captain Lorenzo Alexander said. “The defense takes it as a stop: Great, no points on the board. That’s a win for them. It’s just a change of momentum.
“I’m confident that we’ll get that straightened out here because we have to. If we want to win games, we’ve got to score every time that we have an opportunity to because we’re not good enough yet to overcome missed field goals, blocked punts or having turnovers.”
Doughty responds to criticism for allowing touchdown catch
Cornerback Josh Wilson after the game expressed frustration with a teammate’s failure to fulfill his responsibility on the play.
“It’s a red zone — kind-of cover-2,” Doughty said Monday. “I tried to show disguise, and I didn’t get wide enough. I thought Josh made a good attempt at the play, and I was hoping he didn’t get in bounds. But you can’t let a disguise ruin the coverage. I’ve got to get over there quicker.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again