- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
DRIESSEN: Obama’s energy failures’ economic stranglehold
Romney’s plan is best hope for industry
Unfortunately, facts like these have not stopped anti-hydrocarbon activists in and out of the Obama administration. They are master fearmongers and propagandists, advancing their “just say no” opposition to North American fossil fuel energy. They use lawsuits, lobbying, fabrications and demonstrations to block drilling, fracking, pipelines, coal-mining and coal-burning, and countless other projects, while promoting subsidies, favoritism and exemptions from environmental laws for wind, solar and biofuel programs.
During his first inaugural address amid the Great Depression, President Franklin D. Roosevelt told America, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”
Environmental extremists take the opposite tack, arguing that we need to fear just about everything. Giving in to fear and throwing more roadblocks in front of responsible energy and economic development creates far more harm than benefit.
It’s time to elect a president and Congress that understand and encourage sensible, responsible North American energy and economic development.
Paul Driessen is senior policy adviser for the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow and author of “Eco-Imperialism: Green Power, Black Death” (Merril Press, 2010).
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama delivering on 'flexibility' vow to Moscow
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama should've seen Ukraine coming
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Political correctness is enemy of free speech
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop wasting money on United Nations
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Certain issues belong to voters