- American dream dying, but many see free market as solution: Poll
- Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
- Israel poised for a $173M boost from the U.S. for missile defense
- Leon Panetta named as source of ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ scriptwriter’s information
- Mandela service sign language interpreter: ‘He made up his own signs’
- Pope Francis named Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
- Ben Affleck: Fundraising for Democrats started to ‘feel gross’
- Vladimir Putin orders military to boost presence in Arctic
- Brooklyn, N.Y.: ‘Lesbian capital’ of the Northeast
- Elian Gonzalez: It’s America’s fault that my mother died
Rihanna, Minaj lead American Music Awards nominees
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Rihanna and Nicki Minaj are the leading nominees at the 40th annual American Music Awards with four nods each.
Christina Aguilera announced the nominations Tuesday in Los Angeles. She also said she plans to perform at the ceremony next month.
Drake, Justin Bieber, Maroon 5, One Direction and Usher earned three bids apiece. Carrie Underwood, Chris Brown, fun., Gotye, J. Cole, Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Luke Bryan, and Pitbull are each double nominees.
Drake, Bieber, Maroon 5, Katy Perry and Rihanna are also in the running for artist of the year.
Nominees are selected based on broadcast airplay and online popularity. Fans can vote online for their favorites in all 20 categories.
The American Music Awards will be presented Nov. 18 at Nokia Theatre and broadcast live on ABC.
The complete list of nominees:
_ Artist of the year: Justin Bieber, Drake, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, Rihanna.
_ New artist of the year: J. Cole, fun., Gotye, Carly Rae Jepsen, One Direction.
_ Male artist, pop/rock: Justin Bieber, Flo Rida, Pitbull, Usher.
_ Female artist, pop/rock: Kelly Clarkson, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Rihanna.
_ Band, duo or group, pop/rock: fun., Maroon 5, One Direction, The Wanted.
_ Album, pop/rock: Justin Bieber, “Believe”; Maroon 5, “Overexposed”; Nicki Minaj, “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded”; One Direction, “Up All Night.”
_ Male artist, country: Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Eric Church.
_ Female artist, country: Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood.
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- More than a quarter million sign up for Obamacare in November
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- MILLER: Dick Heller challenges D.C.s gun registration, files for summary judgement in Heller II
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
News and views on the Civil War.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow