D.C. Council member Michael A. Brown said Tuesday his campaign was victimized by an embezzlement scheme that lasted several months and erased nearly $114,000 from its coffers, leaving him with $18,000 in his re-election race.
Mr. Brown, at-large independent, addressed his campaign’s fiscal health in an afternoon news conference that lasted about 10 minutes, fielding questions before abruptly walking back into the John A. Wilson Building.
He held the briefing after making revelations about his campaign’s finances late Monday in official filings. The filings had been delayed while the D.C. Office of Campaign Finance looked into allegations that a longtime campaign aide had misused funds, prompting Mr. Brown to fire his campaign treasurer and take over the books.
Before the new filings, Mr. Brown only said a “significant” amount of money had gone missing and that he immediately reported the matter to the Metropolitan Police Department.
“While no one has been charged yet, there is a very active investigation with MPD and the United States attorney’s office,” police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said Tuesday.
Mr. Brown said the issues should not reflect poorly on his campaign since he is not the first candidate to be the victim of theft from a campaign treasury.
“Clearly I was wrong to have trusted that person, and I deeply regret it,” he told reporters.
Mr. Brown referred the most pointed questions about the alleged theft to police Tuesday but insisted he practiced due diligence and had no reason to think early campaign reports were inaccurate. He did, however, say he should have been comparing the reports to campaign bank records.
Mr. Brown, the council’s chairman pro tempore, filed his Aug. 10 campaign finance report and an amended June 10 report that lists thousands of dollars in “unexplained expenses.” He also sent a letter to the Office of Campaign Finance that noted 34 mysterious expenditures to his former treasurer, Hakim J. Sutton.
Mr. Sutton’s lawyer, J. Wyndal Gordon, said it appears Mr. Sutton is being made into the “fall guy” for problems in the campaign. Yet Mr. Gordon said he needed to look into the allegations further since Mr. Brown has not accused Mr. Sutton by name in his comments and press releases.
The filings, released close to midnight Monday, capped a tumultuous day for the campaign. Hours earlier, Mr. Brown survived a pair of challenges to his ballot-access petitions with only 166 signatures more than the 3,000-signature threshold needed to appear before voters Nov. 6.
On Tuesday, he decried the challenges by opponent David Grosso, an independent, and D.C. government watchdog Dorothy Brizill as “frivolous” and “wild conspiracy theories” that ignore real issues in the city.
“For those who have been playing around in the sandbox, it’s time to step up and grow up,” he said.
In recent months, Mr. Brown has touted his efforts to promote D.C. statehood, reimburse city employees for four furlough days they took in 2011, and reform first-source contracting laws in the District so more city residents can obtain jobs.