- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The party of no jobs
With 23 million people unable to find full-time employment, 1 in 6 people living in poverty and food-stamp use at an all-time high, we have a Democrat-controlled Senate and an administration stuck on “no.” No is the answer to jobs, approval of the Keystone XL pipeline, oil drilling, natural gas exploration and clean coal mining.
However, President Obama gave $2 billion to drill for oil that creates jobs in Brazil instead of the United States. He sent millions of taxpayer dollars to Finland and China to develop alternative energy that creates jobs there, but not here. Furthermore, the Republican-controlled House passed and sent a number of jobs bills to the U.S. Senate where Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said no by refusing to consider those bills. By issuing tons of regulations, the administration again has said no by placing a heavy financial burden on job creators, driving coal miners out of business and affecting thousands of jobs. Moreover, while foreign countries such as China increase efforts to approve trade agreements for their products and services, the Democrats in the Senate and Obama administration do little or nothing to expand U.S. trade abroad. The adverse effect is no increase in demand for products and services, less need for existing jobs and no reason to hire more workers. Finally, the administration insists on raising taxes on businesses, preventing them from expanding and creating new jobs.
Democrats should stop saying no to jobs bills and stop penalizing job creators if we are to get back on the road toward employment for the 23 million Americans looking for work.
Mount Vernon, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable